Wednesday, April 27, 2005

"Bring Some Chicken..."

Culture and Ideas class was very weird today. First of all, 2 weeks from now is our last day of class. We are supposed to have a small party during that class to do evaluations and talk about the class overall. The professor passed out a sign-in sheet for the potluck affair. When it was my turn to put something on the list, I drew a blank. I was sitting in the back of the room so by the time the list got to me I was stumped. My classmate next to me says "Just bring some chicken." Now, if she wasn't black, I would have been PISSED! Why? It's just one of those things I have. I have this phobia about eating fried chicken, ribs, or any other stereotypical food in front of white folks. I never do it and I'll be damned if I'm gonna bring fried chicken to a class potluck. I think it all stems from when I was about 7 or 8 and I met my blood brother's next door neighbor, Roy. Roy is an old POW from the Korean War and a native of Tennesse. The day I met him was the day they were supposed to be having a cookout, but it rained or something like that. Well, we were all in the house and Roy says to me "Hey. I hope yer hongry because we got a whole lot of good stuff. Greens, chicken, ribs, hot dogs, watermelon. All that good stuff. Evidently I was siced because for the rest of my life he would remind me of that story and how my eyes got as big as quarters and so on. So, I boycott eating the stereotypical food in public. So I just put a bunch of question marks under my name and asked to be assigned to bring something.

The other thing was a comparison of certain things in Hamlet to some of the stories in the New Testament. The professor gave note as to how some of the things that were done were very similar to what happened to Jesus. Wow. The Christian folk didn't dig that at all. My thing was, listen to what dude is saying and at least make an attempt to look at the writings in the Bible at face value. No one denounced Jesus, it was just an observation. I made a semi-joke in there and said "Well, when Shakepeare wrote this he was probably working on the rough draft of the King James version of the Bible as well so he just wanted to save time." That lightened the tension but man! I hope he never does that in a classroom again. As a matter of fact, when I took him in the summer this one woman dropped the class and it probably had a lot to do with his asectular views. Crazy man.

Special Note: Don't worry ladies, I haven't forgotten about the comments I got from the last post. That rebuttal and defense of the boo-tay will be posted in ther very near future.

No comments: